In surrogacy, the surrogate mother is giving birth to a child, which will be raised people who can’t have it naturally.
Talking the language of laws, the surrogacy is characterized by the following features:
- the gestation of a child by the Surrogate Mother for further transfer of the child to the future parents;
- prior mutual agreement between the Surrogate Mother and the future parents, under which the procedure of IVF and transfer of the embryo to the body of the Surrogate Mother takes place;
- the genetic connection of the child with both or at least one of the future parents.
We divide surrogacy into two types
In this case, Surrogate mother is impregnated naturally or artificially, but the child would be genetically related to her. Most of the world does not allow this type of surrogacy as it is very close to child trading. We don’t conduct such a procedure.
This type of surrogacy is known for more than 30 years. In this scenario, the pregnancy results from an embryo created by in vitro fertilization (IVF), sometimes using egg or semen donor. There is no genetic relation between the child and the surrogate mother in this case. This type of surrogacy also can be of different versions:
- Using embryo from both future parents. Surrogate Mother gets an embryo created by IVF, using future father's semen and future mother's eggs.
- Using egg donation. Here an embryo created by IVF is used as well as future father's sperm. Also, the donor egg is used, but a donor is a different person than the surrogate. As a result, the newborn baby is genetically related to the future father, but there is still no relation to the surrogate mother.
- Using donor sperm. Finally, in this case, the Surrogate Mother gets an embryo created by IVF, using the future mother's egg and donor sperm. As a result, the newborn baby is genetically related to the future mother, but there is still no relation to the surrogate mother.